Marling Centeno's Blog 2


Change-Maker's Reflection Blog 2 


Going into this project, I initially viewed it as just another assignment that needed to be completed. However, after presenting and observing the other groups, I realized it was a much more meaningful experience than I expected. It allowed me not only to learn about influential individuals throughout history, but also to reflect on my own growth as a speaker.

    When it was my turn to present, I felt very nervous. Even though I had prepared, I still had doubts about whether I would forget what to say or make mistakes. Right before I began, I could feel my heart racing, and I found myself overthinking. However, once I started speaking, I gradually became more comfortable. Instead of focusing on being perfect, I focused on clearly communicating my ideas, which helped me feel more at ease.  

    I presented Harriet Tubman, and learning about her life made the experience more personal and impactful for me. Understanding the risks she took and the courage she demonstrated made me feel more connected to my topic. As a result, my presentation felt less like simply delivering information and more like sharing something meaningful. I believe this connection helped me speak more naturally and genuinely.

    One of the biggest things I noticed about myself was my improvement in confidence. Earlier in the semester, I relied heavily on reading directly from my notes because I was afraid of making mistakes. During this presentation, I still used my notes as support, but I did not depend on them as much. Instead, I focused on understanding my topic and expressing it in my own words. Although I am still working on my public speaking skills, I can clearly see my progress, which made me feel proud.

   Watching the other groups present was also an important part of this experience. The 1700s group had a very structured and informative presentation. Their approach felt serious and focused on delivering key information, which helped establish a strong foundation for understanding the time period. While they were well organized, there were moments where it felt more focused on information than engagement. This made me realize how important it is to balance both content and audience connection.

   The 1800s group, which I was a part of, felt more personal to me. Being involved in the process allowed me to see how much effort goes into planning and presenting. I especially liked our newspaper-style posters because they made the presentation more creative and visually appealing. It helped bring the theme to life and made our presentation stand out. Seeing everything come together made me feel proud of both my group and my contribution.

   The 1900s group stood out to me the most in terms of engagement. Their presentation felt more relatable and easier to connect to, which made it more interesting to watch. I found myself paying closer attention because the content felt more familiar and relevant. This showed me how important it is for a presentation to feel connected to the audience in order to keep their attention.

   Overall, each group had its own strengths. Some focused more on organization and detail, while others emphasized creativity and engagement. Watching all of the presentations helped me understand that there are many different ways to be an effective speaker. What matters most is how well you communicate your message and connect with your audience.

   This project also changed the way I view public speaking. In the past, I mainly focused on completing the presentation as quickly as possible. Now, I understand that presenting is not just about speaking—it is about expressing ideas and creating a connection with the audience. This shift in perspective has helped me approach presentations with a more positive mindset.

   I also learned that feeling nervous is completely normal. Instead of seeing it as a weakness, I now see it as a sign that I care about doing well. What truly matters is being able to manage those nerves and continue moving forward.

   In conclusion, this project helped me grow both academically and personally. It pushed me out of my comfort zone, improved my confidence, and helped me develop stronger communication skills. Although I am still improving, I feel much more prepared for future presentations. Overall, I am grateful for this experience because it taught me not only about change-makers, but also about my own abilities and potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mya's Blog

Mia's Blog

Mariana's Blog 2